Tuesday, August 1, 2017

The Twittersphere

This year I decided that I would take some graduate classes at Molloy while I was still working there. @dmammolito did our mandated PD this year, and I really enjoyed learning strategies that I was able to turn around and use immediately in my classroom. Because of this, I decided to take her graduate class on 21st century learning. We started class with some of the things I already knew, but in particular our discussion of Twitter led me to take a look at how I was using my professional Twitter.
The first people that I followed were some of my college professors, as well as some of the professionals in the field of history and language learning that I admired. I then began to follow authors and scientists that I admired: people such as Lama Surya Das and Neil Degrasse Tyson. As time has went on, I have followed and been followed by educators I have met at conferences, as well as educators that I have never met.
Neil Degrasse Tyson - Astrophysicist, Funny Man


My professional network is not large, but has thus far been reliable for reaching out and being available to others. Other teachers tag me in things they think would interest me, and I do the same when I find something cool - something worth sharing. By far my favorite part of Twitter has been my ability to reach out to professionals in the field. To me, these people are like rockstars, but Twitter offers a way to contact them and get feedback from them. Although I have not really used Twitter so much in my classroom, I look forward to continue using it develop my own professional learning network.

3 comments:

  1. I would never have joined Twitter if it weren't for my professors at Molloy. I agree that it is a great way to reach out to past professors and current co-workers. Its a great way to network, and I already have new ideas for my classroom for this coming up school year! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. I have resources at my fingertips. Inspirations and ideas are readily available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off- love the memes- not sure if you use them for teaching, but wouldn't it be great to give students a historical pic and have them make a meme out of it? Hey- maybe that could be a new thinking routine- Making Memes!

    I also agree that my educational heroes are more like rockstars than mainstream celebrities.

    I highly recommend following Mike Rowe's podcast. He does a segment called "The Way I Heard it" and he retells a story from history ancient and recent with a twist. One of my favorite bloggers to follow.

    Why not set up a class Twitter account and have them tweet through there? Connect with classes in regions you are studying...

    ReplyDelete