Wednesday, August 2, 2017

¨Fall seven times, stand up eight¨

Most of us in our lives have probably seen some variation of this Japanese proverb. It reminds us to be resilient: to get going when the going gets tough. Whether we recognize it or not, our failures are often our best opportunities for growth; this is a lesson I often try to impart to my own students. This summer, I have taken the opportunity to reflect on what I learned from falling short and what I could teach my students about overcoming obstacles.

When I began my studies, I was not thinking about teaching on Long Island. In fact, I was not even thinking about teaching in the United States. I had my eyes set on a Fulbright: a government program that offers research, study, and teaching opportunities to recent graduates. I applied to South Korea because of a Korean War Veteran who inspired me to be someone who made a difference in the world. With all I had learned as a historian, I felt like this was the country that was calling my name. I received recommendations from a former fulbrighter and a Harvard graduate. I pored over my essays for countless hours, going so far as to have them looked at by a former member of Fulbright´s screening committee. With the screener´s seal of approval, all I had to do was wait.

Meanwhile, a friend of a friend contacted me about a teaching position. I thought I did not have anything to lose, so I went through the interview process, and I was granted my first teaching position. The first round of the Fulbright process was over, and I was still in the mix. I continued teaching while in the back of my head I could not stop thinking about the Fulbright. The process lasted for over a year and half, and at the end all I received was a simple email. As you might guess, I did not get the Fulbright, and to say I felt crushed does not even begin to describe how I felt.
It was hard to talk about - with individuals who wrote my recommendations, my professors, my family, and my friends. Day by day, week by week, I started feeling better and my current teaching position grew on me. I went from feeling sad about my situation, to feeling glad that every single day I had a new opportunity to make a difference in the lives of the students sitting in front of me. If all along my ultimate goal was to make a difference in the lives of others, I had it in spades.



The lesson?


Go for it, set high expectations for yourself. Look for the good in everything. Even when you can not try again, you can always dust yourself off, learn from your setbacks, and continue to grow.



2 comments:

  1. I really liked reading your story about settling into your job. I came across this quote today and I'd like to share it with you. "Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything. Maybe it's about unbecoming everything that isn't really you, so you can be who your were meant o be in the first place." See you on the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog! I love the honesty about not getting something that you really wanted- and the truth is Fulbright's decision has had immeasurable impacts on the lives of West Hempstead kids. I also love the tweet with the sailboat. Made me think of one of my favorite quotes- "smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." :)

    ReplyDelete